Birding in Lima: Santa Eulalia (one day tour)
Santa Eulalia road goes up from the coast to the west slope of the Andes. It covers a wide range of habitats at different altitudes.
We start the tour at a Willow forest near the lower Santa Eulalia river, this area has proved to be reliable for species like Black-necked Woodpecker, Peruvian Pygmy-Owl, Collared Warbling-finch, Peruvian Sheartail, Blue-and-yellow Tanager, Bran-colored Flycatcher, Yellow-billed Tit-tyrant and Pied-crested Tit-tyrant.
Rusty-bellied Brush-Finch @Jean Paul Perret
Then wecontinue the road up to the mountains checking the river for the occasional Torrent Duck and White-capped Dipper. Before reaching theAutisha bridge we start looking for the endemic Great Inca-finch on the bushes along theroad. Once we see this species we head to the bridge where Andean Condors are often seen flying high above the mountains. Andean and White-collared Swifts are not uncommon here.
Our last stop is the most rewarding, as species like Giant Hummingbird, Black Metaltail, Bronze-tailed Comet, Rusty-crowned Tit-spinetail, Rusty-bellied Brush-finch and Canyon Canastero are seen.
Black-necked Woodpecker @ Koky Castañeda
The western slopes of thePeruvian Andes have to defined seasons, rainy and dry season. The rainy season goes from December to March and the dry season from April to November. Temperatures along the Santa Eulalia road goes from 6°C (43°F) during the early hours of the day, but they soon increase to 25°C (77°F) before midday.
- Dress in layers, a rainproof jacket, fleece jacket and a T-shirt or a longsleeve shirt is a good combination.
- Between April and December sunny days are very common. Bring something to cover your head as the UV factor along the Peruvian Andes is very high. Also a sunblock with good UV protection is important.
- If you suffer from any medical condition that requires special attention please let us know before hand.
- Altitude sickness is usually not a problem in this area since we only reach 7000 ft above sea level.
- If you are vegetarian or have any food allergies please let us know so we can include other items in the box lunch.
1 PAX $575 per person
2 PAX $365 per person
3 PAX $300 per person
4 PAX $265 per person
5 PAX $255 per person
6, 7 or 8 PAX $240 per person
- Transportation from your hotel or the airport to the localities mentioned in the tour description.
- Professional birding guide.
- Box lunch.
- Bottle of water.
Prices does not include
- Tips for the guide and driver.